Facts and Events
||12 Jan 1839
||Achdalew, Kilmallie, Inverness-shire, Scotland,
||15 Oct 1868
||Dunkeld, Victoria, Australiato Roderick McLeod
||8 Jun 1915
||Dunkeld, Victoria, AustraliaY
||10 Jun 1915
||Dunkeld Cemetery, Dunkeld, Victoria, Australia
Listed in both the 1841 & 1851 Scottland Census.
Arrived with family Melb 22 Dec 1852, departed Liverpool 4 Aug 1852 on "Ticonderoga", aged 13, Index to Registers of Assisted British Immigrants 1839-187, Book 7, Page 104. See story re: the "fever" ship "Ticonderoga" at www.ticonderoga.com.au
Mary was the eldest child of Dugald and Catherine Cameron. She was born in 1839 in Achdalew, Kilmallie, Argyle, Scotland. Her brothers Alexander born in 1840 and Duncan in 1842. The family left Scotland by ship in 1852.
When the family arrived in Australia they settled at "Bald Hills" near Dunkeld in Western Victoria. Mary's brother Duncan died aged 15 in 1858. Her other brother Alexander married Alice Kinsman in 1888 and they had 5 daughters and a son also called Alex born in 1899.
Mary married Roderick McLeod in 1868 when she was 29 years old. Her mother Catherine died in 1878 aged 66 years and her father Dugald died 2 years later aged 69 years.
Mary had 4 boys and 4 girls, she died in 1915 aged 76 years and is buried at Dunkeld. Mary inherited the Bald Hills property and passed it on to her son Kenneth. "Bald Hills" was sold to "Corea" when Ken married.
Obit. Hamilton Spectator
"Mary McLeod, a Dunkeld widow, died 8/6/1915, William Young, Dunkeld and Donald McLeod, Birregura both graziers were executors."
- ↑ Births & Baptisims 1538 - 1854, in Scotland. Old Parish Registers, Births & Baptisms. (Edinburgh, Scotland: ScotlandsPeople (National Records of Scotland)), GROS 520/ 0020 0108, Primary quality.
Kilmallie Old Parish Register
General Register Office for Scotland
- ↑ Death Record, in Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Great War Index, Victoria, 1914-1920: Index to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Victoria, Regn No. 4823, 1915, Primary quality.
Died 8 June 1915 at Dunkeld
- ↑ Ian Marr. Cemeteries of South-West Victoria, Seq No. 318, Primary quality.
Old Dunkeld Cemetery Index No. 318
- Death Record, in Victorian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Great War Index, Victoria, 1914-1920: Index to Births, Deaths and Marriages in Victoria, Regn No. 4823, 1915, Primary quality.
Buried 10 June 1915 at Dunkeld Cemetery
- ↑ The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) (about) Previous issue Friday 24 September 1915 Next issue Previous page Page, in Australia. Trove Digitised newspapers and more. (Australia), Page 6, The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 19Friday 24 September 1915, Secondary quality.
WILLS AND TESTAMENTS.
Mary McLeod, of Dunkeld, widow, who died on June 8, left by a will dated August 5,
1909, real estate valued at £1,890 and personal estate valued at £484, to her children.
- ↑ In 1851, Mary's family came from a village called Corrybeg on the northern shore of Loch Eil. It was located about 1 mile east of Kinlochiel. Achdalew was located approximately 5 miles east of Kinlochiel and 3 miles west from Fort William (near Loch Eil Outward Bound) These villages were on the Estates of Lochiel, the Clan Cameron chieftain.