Auviltown was in Clover District at the mouth of Upper Johathan Run. William Marsh was the founder of modern Auviltown but Johathan Minear was the first settler there. He settled on Lower Johathan Run, a half mile below Auviltown in 1776, and there was slaughtered by Indians on April 16, 1780. In 1845 John Auvil, a native of Pennsylvania, moved to Pifer Mountain, with his wife Catherine, from Barbour County. In 1863 he purchased land from William Marsh and moved to Auviltown where he built a grist mill. He buildt a dam across Cheat River and operated the mill by water power. In 1890 a post office was established at Auviltown with George B. Auvil, a son of John Auvil, as the first postmaster. It was on the mail route between Rowlesburg and Saint George. George B. Auvil was the father of Harvey Wayne Auvil (1875-1949), for many years a teacher and principal. Harvey Wayne Auvil's wife, Nora Alice Shaffer, born September 27, 1880, met a tragic death on the railroad crossing on River Street in Parsons, January 31, 1925, when she was run over by the afternoon passenger train.