m. ABT 1608
- Hannah Atherold1615 - 1695
Facts and Events
||2 Jul 1638
||London, Englandto Col. William Ball, the immigrant
||5 Oct 1680
||Lancaster, Virginia, United Statesnamed in Will of William Ball, husband
||5 Dec 1694
||Lancaster, Virginia, United States
||16 Jun 1695
||Millenbeck, Lancaster, Virginia, United States(proved)
- Still living when her husband wrote his will on 5 OCT 1680.
- She left two wills, both proved on 12 OCT 1695. The first was dated 5 DEC 1694/95, the second will was dated 25 June 1695. Lancaster WB 8, p. 51b-53b (52-54). The 2nd will is more of a codicil relating to slave Negro Bess and her mulatto daughters Hannah and Betty. She also changes the executors.
- Witnesses to the first will were Alexander English, Ann Finch and Thomas Goddin. Witnesses to the second will were Richard Sanderson, Marion Mackonell and Hannah Ball. Executors to the first will were her son Joseph Ball and grandson William Ball. Executors to the second will were daughter Mrs. Hannah Fox and grandson William Ball.
- Family Recorded, in Roberts, Gary Boyd. Ancestors of American Presidents. (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009), 1, Secondary quality.
Great-grandmother of George Washington.
13. Hannah Atherold of London, c. 1615-prob. Lancaster Co. c. 1695.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Will Abstract of William Ball, in Lee, Ida J. Abstracts Lancaster County, Virginia, Wills, 1653-1800. (Richmond: Dietz Press, 1959).
p 6 -
BALL, William. Will. 5 Oct. 1680. Rec. 11 Nov. 1680.
To son Wm. Ball, my plantation, 2 patents of 540 acres. Wife Hannah ; son Joseph Ball Patent of 1600 acres in Rappa. Co., Dau. Hannah, wife of Capt. David Fox only 5 shillings sterling, which is overpayment both of her portion and deserts. Extrs. Sons William and Joseph. Wits. Thos. Everest, Jno. Mottly.
W.B. 5, p. 70.
[Identifies her as wife of William Ball.]
- Walne, Peter. The English Ancestry of Colonel William Ball of Millenbeck, in Virginia Magazine of History and Biography. (Richmond, Virginia: Virginia Historical Society), 67:399-405, No 4 (Oct 1959), Secondary quality.
[Demonstrates that Hannah, wife of William Ball was NOT a daughter of Thomas Atherold.]
[Note: Peter Walne was a Berkshire County Archivist, Reading, England.]