Hopkins County, Texas, 1850 census:
He was a carpenter by trade who oversaw the construction of the first courthouse on the square in Clarksville. It was made with wooden pegs because nails were nearly impossible to obtain.
About July 1836, he was appointed a "judge of justice" by David Burnet, President of the Republic. On 15 Oct 1851, he was appointed Chief Justice of Red River County.
In 1842, he was ordained by the First Presbytery of Texas (Cumberland).
On 1 Feb 1849, he received 1st Class headright certificate #97 for 2,560 acres, which he located south of Boxelder.
On 24 Nov 1849, he received an additional 1st Class headright certificate #97 for 2,045 acres, which he located just west of Clarksville.