Facts and Events
||17 Dec 1838
||Perry County, Indiana
||06 Jan 1859
||Gentryville, Spencer County, IndianaMarried by Rev. James Jones
to Sabrina M. Rusher
||01 Dec 1861
||Spencer County, IndianaMarried by Elder Wm. L. Robinson
to Rebecca Cockrell
||12 Aug 1862
||Gentryville, Spencer County, Indiana
||22 Jan 1896
||Gentryville, Spencer County, IndianaMarried by John L. Stewart, J.P. (his 3rd wife, her 2nd husband)
to Sallie Harris
||7 Nov 1928
||National Soldiers Home, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
||8 Nov 1928
||Gentryville Cemetery, Gentryville, Spencer, Indiana, United States
Spencer County, Indiana, 1860 census:
- Frakes, Geo. 21 yrs Shoemaker (personal estate: $100) b. Indiana
- Sabrinie 17 yrs b. Indiana
- Emily J. 7/12 yr b. Indiana
Spencer County, Indiana, 1880 census:
- Frakes, George 42 yrs Farmer b. Indiana (parents, b. Indiana)
- Rebecca 35 yrs Wife Keeping House b. Kentucky (parents, b. Kentucky)
- Alice 17 yrs Dau Does House Work b. Indiana
- Martha 12 yrs Dau b. Indiana
- Frederick 10 yrs Son b. Indiana
- Hershel 6 yrs Son b. Indiana
- John 4 yrs Son b. Indiana
- Ernest 1 yr Son b. Indiana
Spencer County, Indiana, 1910 census:
- Frakes, George Head 71 yrs b. Indiana (parents, b. Indiana) Marr. 14 yrs "Own Income"
- Sally wife 61 yrs b. Kentucky (parents, b. Kentucky)
Spencer County, Indiana, 1920 census:
- Frakes, George Head 81 yrs b. Indiana (parents, b. Indiana)
- Sally Wife 71 yrs b. Kentucky (parents, b. Kentucky)
George spent the remainder of his life farming near Gentryville. For possibly as long as several years, he was in the Veterans Hospital at Milwaukee, where he died. It is said in the family that his son, Joseph H., may also have worked there, though proof of this has not been located.
He had a full military & G.A.R funeral. A large crowd attended since he was one of last survivors of the War in southern Indiana.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Correspondence with various other researchers.
Letter from Mrs. Estella R. (Frakes) Brown, Little Rock, AR, Jan 1978. An 1890 source refers to him as a farmer and "bootjack."
- ↑ Wisconsin Death Certificate, no. 5418.
- ↑ Spencer, Indiana, United States. 1860 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Jackson Twp, p. 370, house/family 1306/1299.
- ↑ Spencer, Indiana, United States. 1880 U.S. Census Population Schedule: Tenth Census of the United States, NARA Microfilm Publication T9. (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration), ED 52, p. 206, house/family 143/144.
- ↑ Spencer, Indiana, United States. 1910 U.S. Census Population Schedule: Thirteenth Census of the United States, NARA Microfilm Publication T624. (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration), ED 76, p. 1A, house/family 10/10.
- ↑ Spencer, Indiana, United States. 1920 U.S. Census Population Schedule, ED 78, p. 2A, house/family 39/39.
- ↑ George Frakes Civil War file.
George enlisted in Co. E, 91st Indiana Vol. Infantry, 12 August 1862, at Gentryville. He was described as 5' 6-1/2", light complexion, with light hair & blue eyes. He was promoted from the ranks to Sergeant, 1 March 1863. The 91st Indiana was scattered through western Kentucky as a defense force, was reunited in June 1863 to pursue Morgan's raiders, then went by way of Knoxville & Cumberland Gap to join Sherman in the Atlanta campaign. The regiment took part in nearly all the engagements in that campaign until the fall of Atlanta, 1 September 1864. It then went in pursuit of Hood's Brigade as far as Cedar Bluff, then removed to Chattanooga. George took part in the Battle of Franklin, 30 November 1864, and fought at Nashville, 15-16 December 1864. The regiment then moved via Cincinnati to Washington, DC (arriving 28 January 1865), was transported to the mouth of the Cape Fear River, North Carolina, and landed near Fort Fisher. It also took part in the capture of Wilmington. It finally went into camp at Salisbury, North Carolina, where the regiment was mustered out, 26 June 1865, and was transported back to Indianapolis.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Grave marker, Gentryville Cemetery, Gentryville, Spencer, Indiana, United States.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Find A Grave.