Edgar the Peaceful , King of Wessex, Mercia & England I
b.abt 7 Aug 943
Facts and Events
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Edgar the Peaceful, or Edgar I (; c. 7 August 943 – 8 July 975), also called the Peaceable, was king of England from 959 to 975. Edgar was the younger son of Edmund I. Edgar is regarded as the first ruler of a consolidated England.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Edgar the Peaceful, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. (Online: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.).
Wikipedia gives no citation for the birth date.
- Searle, William George. Anglo-Saxon bishops, kings and nobles, the succession of the bishops and the pedigrees of the kings and nobles. (Cambridge: University Press in Cambridge, 1899), pp. 346-347.
- The Royal Line of Sucession, A16A225, p. 7.
- Hist. of the Anglo-Saxons, Eng. 36, v. 2, p. 222-30, 260-77.
- Plantagenet Ancestry, Eng. 116, p. 21.
- Burke's Peerage, Eng. p, 1949, preface p. 251.
- George's Gen. Tab., Eng. 102, Tab. 1.
- Keiser und Koenig Hist., Gen. Hist. 25, pt 1, p. 96-97.
- Anderson's Royal Gen., eng. 132, p. 740.
- Betham's Tab., Eng. 133, Tab. 601, 602.
- ↑ Eadgar 'the Peaceful', King of England, in Lundy, Darryl. The Peerage: A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe.
- ↑ EDGAR, son of EDMUND King of Wessex & his first wife Ælfgifu --- (-Winchester 8 Jul 975, bur Glastonbury Abbey), in Cawley, Charles. Medieval Lands: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families.
- ↑ Eadgar, in Baldwin, Stewart, and Todd Farmerie. The Henry Project (King Henry II ): Ancestors of King Henry II.
- Edgar 11 (Male), in The Prosopography of Anglo-Saxon England.
- ↑ Thorpe, Benjamin. Florentii Wigorniensis. (London: Sumptibus Societatis, 1848), p. 133.
Has Eadgar's birth under the year 943.
- ↑ Thorpe, Benjamin. Florentii Wigorniensis. (London: Sumptibus Societatis, 1848), pp. 274-275.
States that Eadgar was in his 16th year when he succeeded in 959, and in his 32nd year at his decease in 975.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Thorpe, Benjamin. Florentii Wigorniensis. (London: Sumptibus Societatis, 1848), p. 143.