Facts and Events
Chancery suit filed in Davis County, 13 Apr 1869:S3
- Zephaniah Wood v. Catherine Sapp et al
- Zephaniah Wood v. Catherine Sapp, Resin N. Sapp, Angeline Clark, Hiram Clark (her husband), Permelia Wedmore, John A. Wedmore (her husband), Mary C. Sapp, Eliza Jane Sapp, and Hiram Sapp, all heirs of Henry Sapp.
- Hiram Sapp is a minor. H. C. Traverse appointed guardian.
- Zephaniah Wood owns NE 1/4 of SE 1/4 Sect. 5 and NW 1/4 of SW 1/4 Sect. 4, T70 R15. His title is confirmed and defendant's claims in and to the same are dismissed.
- Process server's report: Read notice to all defendants, "(except Resin N. Sapp who I served by leaving a copy with his wife Susan Sapp, a member of his family over 14 years of age at their dwelling home . . . in Marion Twp, Davis County, Iowa)." Service was accepted by Hiram Sapp and refused by all the others. 20 Apr 1869.
- Complaint: Wood says that Henry Sapp originally owned the land. In 1853, he sold it to C. L. Jones, who sold it to Mr. Whiteman, who sold it to Wood (who has had it for more than 16 years).
Davis County, Iowa, 1880 census:S2
- Sapp, Catharine 73 yrs b. Pennsylvania (parents, b. Pennsylvania) (cannot read or write)
- Hiram son 26 yrs b. Iowa (parents, b. Pennsylvania) Farmer
- Malinda dau/law 24 yrs b. Iowa (father, b. Maryland; mother, b. Pennsylvania)
Davis County, Iowa, 1885 Iowa state census:S4
- Sapp, Cathran 81 yrs (wid.) Keeping house b. Germany (parents, "foreign")
- Hiram 33 yrs (marr.) Farmer b. Davis Co. (parents, "foreign")
- Mary 45 yrs (single) Keeping house b. Ohio (parents, "foreign")
- Melinda 30 yrs (marr.) Keeping house b. Davis Co.
- Evert _4 yrs [overstamped] b. Davis Co.
- Senea _1 yrs [overstamped] b. Davis Co.
16 Feb 1891: Application for appointment of administrator [abstract]:
- Catherine Sapp died in Davis County, Iowa, 26 Aug 1890, and left property. Personal property will not exceed $75 in value. Left no husband. I am her son. Peter Kimble is a suitable person to act as administrator.
- Hiram [his X mark] Sapp
- Administrator's bond, 2 Apr 1891.
- Letters of administration granted, 26 Apr 1891.
- Claim of J. P. Gaston, 29 Jun 1891: $20 for "coffin and box."
- Several small claims for groceries, cloth, articles of clothing, etc.
- Appraised estate: one dark bay or light brown mare about 8 or 9 years old, valued at $60.
- Application to sell personal property worth $60-$75 [i.e., the mare].
- Order to sell & Statement of sale.
- Claim by Mary C. Sapp, 8 Apr 1891, for "careing for said deceased for 26 years, at $40.00 per year = $1,040."
- Final report by administrator, 26 Nov 1892: ". . . only property coming into his hands as administrator was a mare . . ., she was barren . . . and was in bad condition besides, that I could hardly find a purchaser for her, and put in considerable time finding some one to whom to sell her. . . ."
- coffin = $20.00
- burial cloths = $3.25
- administrator's expenses, including 18 mile trip to Bloomfield for several days = $7.15
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Davis County, Iowa Probate Files, Box 82.
- Davis County, Iowa. 1880 U.S. Census Population Schedule, Marion Twp, ED 40, p. 16.
- Davis County Iowa. District Court Records, Box 135.
Zephaniah Wood v. Catherine Sapp et al. Box 35, District Court files, Second Party: Catherine Sapp et al, Volume: Box 135
- Davis, Iowa, United States. 1885 Iowa State Census, p. 327, house/family 59/59.