Alfred "the Great" , King of the West Saxons
Facts and Events
||Alfred "the Great" , King of the West Saxons
||Ælfred "the Great"
||Wantage, Berkshire, England
||to Aedburga OF MERCIA
||Winchester,,,Englandto Eahlwið , Princess of Mercia
to Eahlwið , Princess of Mercia
||23 Apr 0871 to
||King of Wessex
|Ancestral File Number
||House of Wessex
||26 Oct 899
||Winchester, Hampshire, England
||Winchester Cathedral, Winchester, Hampshire, EnglandHyde Abbey - Winchester Cathedral
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Alfred the Great ("elf counsel"; 849 – 26 October 899) was King of Wessex from 871 to 899.
Alfred successfully defended his kingdom against the Viking attempt at conquest, and by the time of his death had become the dominant ruler in England. He is the only English monarch to be accorded the epithet "the Great". Alfred was the first King of the West Saxons to style himself "King of the Anglo-Saxons". Details of his life are described in a work by the 10th century Welsh scholar and bishop Asser. Alfred was a learned and merciful man who encouraged education and improved his kingdom's legal system and military structure.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Alfred the Great, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. (Online: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.).
- Brian Tompsett, (i)Directory of Royal Genealogy Data(/i) (United Kingdom: University of Hull,).
- English Monarchs, online (http:/www.englishmonarchs.co.uk), accessed 8-27-2006, .../saxon_6.htm.
- Mike Ashley, (i)British Kings & Queens: A Complete Biographical Encyclopedia of the Kings & Queens of Great Britain(/i) (New York, NY: Barnes.
- Anglo-Saxon Bishops, Kings & Nobles, Eng. 104, p. 300, 342, 343.
- Royal Line of Succession, A16-A225, p. 6.
- Hist. Eng. P, 1949, pref. p. 151.
- George's Hist. Tab., Eng. 102, Tab. 1.
- Keiser und Koenig Hist., Gen. Hist. 25, pt. 1, p. 96, 97.
- Anderson's Royal Genealogies, Eng. 130, p. 738.
- The Plantagenet Ancestry, Eng. 116, p. 21.
- (CH1)Pedigrees of Some of The Emperor Charlemagne's Descendants Vol. I, p.235.
- (MCS2)The Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, 2nd ed, p.123, Line 161.
- (EA)Encyclopedia Americana, 1951, v.1 p.380.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis; Walter Lee Sheppard; and David Faris. Ancestral roots of certain American colonists, who came to America before 1700: the lineage of Alfred the Great, Charlemagne, Malcolm of Scotland, Robert the Strong, and some of their descendants. (Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Pub. Co., 7th Edition c1992), p. 142.
- Brian Tompsett, Dept of Computer Science. University of Hull Royal Database (England). (Name: copyright 1994, 1995, 1996;).
- Denis R. Reid. Royal Genealogies DB. (Name: 149 Kimrose Lane, Broadview Heights, OH 44147-1258;).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis; Walter Lee Sheppard; and David Faris. Ancestral roots of certain American colonists, who came to America before 1700: the lineage of Alfred the Great, Charlemagne, Malcolm of Scotland, Robert the Strong, and some of their descendants. (Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Pub. Co., 7th Edition c1992), line 1 pp 1-4.
- Ælfræd, King of Wessex, in Lundy, Darryl. The Peerage: A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe.
- ↑ Ælfred "the Great", in Baldwin, Stewart, and Todd Farmerie. The Henry Project (King Henry II ): Ancestors of King Henry II.
- Alfred 8, in The Prosopography of Anglo-Saxon England.