Place:Wilford, Nottinghamshire, England

Alt namesNorth Wilfordsource: alternate name
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.928°N 1.16°W
Located inNottinghamshire, England
See alsoRushcliffe Wapentake, Nottinghamshire, Englandwapentake in which the place was located
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Englandcounty borough of which it was part 1877-1894
South Wilford, Nottinghamshire, Englandcivil parish into which the southern part was transferred in 1894
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Englandcounty borough in which the northern section remained
Nottingham District, Nottinghamshire, Englandunitary authority of which it has been part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wilford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"WILFORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Basford [registration] district, Notts. The village stands on the S bank of the river Trent, 1½ mile by ferry SSW of Nottingham [railway] station.
"The parish comprises 1,450 acres. Post town: Nottingham. Real property: £4,853. Population: 604. Houses: 121. The manor belongs to Sir R. J. Clifton, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value: £574. Patron: Sir R. J. Clifton, Bart. The church is very old. There are an endowed school with £181 a year, and charities £57."
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Today Wilford is a village close to the centre of the city of Nottingham, UK. It is in the Clifton North Ward of Nottingham Unitary Authority. The village is bounded to the north and west by the River Trent and to the east by the embankment of the now closed Great Central Railway.

Wilford retained its identity as a village until the later 19th century. Surrounded by woodlands and with riverside amenities such as the Wilford Ferry Inn, the village attracted many visitors from Nottingham.

In 1870 the Clifton Colliery opened on the north side of the Trent, and the area opposite Wilford became industrialised. By the end of the century the village had changed character, with modern brick-built houses replacing old thatched cottages.

The parish was divided into North Wilford and South Wilford in 1887. The population increased to four and a half thousand by 1901, almost a ten-fold increase since 1801. The civil parish of South Wilford became part of West Bridgford urban district in 1935. North Wilford reverted to the placename Wilford and continued within Nottingham County Borough and became part of Nottingham Unitary Authority in 1974.

Research Tips