Place:Wellow, Nottinghamshire, England

Watchers
NameWellow
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Located inNottinghamshire, England
See alsoBassetlaw Wapentake, Nottinghamshire, Englandwapentake in which the place was located
Southwell Rural, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1894-1974
Newark and Sherwood District, Nottinghamshire, Englanddistrict covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Wellow is a village in Nottinghamshire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 444, increasing to 470 at the 2011 census.

It has a village green and a maypole, which is still in use. The parish church of St Swithin is 12th century, which was restored, with a new chancel, in 1878-9. On the east and south sides of the village are the remains of a defensive ditch, which originally encircled the village. To the south is the deserted medieval village of Grimston, which now forms part of the Manor of Wellow. To the north east is Jordan Castle, a Norman ringwork consisting of a circular earthwork surrounded by a bank and ditch.

Wellow also has, in Wellow Park, the largest remaining example of ash-wych elm woodland in Nottinghamshire.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Wellow, Nottinghamshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.