Place:Stoke Trister, Somerset, England

NameStoke Trister
Alt namesStoke-Tristersource: hyphenated
Bayfordsource: hamlet in parish
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates51.055°N 2.379°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoNorton Ferris Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Wincanton Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Stoke Trister (#32 on map) is a civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, located 2 miles (3 km) southeast of Wincanton and 5 miles (8 km) northwest of Gillingham in Dorset. The parish includes the hamlet of Bayford. In the UK census of 2011 it had a population of 313.

The Church of St Andrew dates from 1841 and has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.

The Stoke part of the name means "place" or "dairy farm" with the Trister part being a corruption of the name of Richard del Estre who was lord of the manor in the 12th century. Stoke Trister passed with Cucklington (#13) to the Phelips family in 1765 and was then held with Montacute.

The manor house, which was built in the 16th century, is now Stoke Farm House. It was acquired around 1547 by the Earl of Pembroke and sold in 1602.

Physicwell House, which was formerly known as Horwood Well House was built around 1805.

Image:Wincanton Rural 1900 small.png


Stoke Trister was originally a parish in the Norton Ferris Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Wincanton Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Stoke Trister joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Stoke Trister.
  • An article on Stoke Trister from the Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Stoke Trister. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.