Place:Stanbury, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameStanbury
TypeVillage
Coordinates53.83°N 1.983°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inWest Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoBradford (metropolitan borough), West Yorkshire, Englandmetropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974
Keighley, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandmunicipal borough in which Stanbury was located until 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Stanbury is a village in the Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury civil parish, and in the metropolitan borough of the City of Bradford in West Yorkshire, England. The village is situated approximately west from Haworth, south-west from Keighley, and east from Colne in Lancashire. Less than half a mile north-east is the hamlet of Lumbfoot. The name Stanbury translates as Stone Fort from Old English.

The surrounding countryside is mainly moors and farmland. The village is close to the Brontë waterfall and Top Withens tourist landmarks. Emily Brontë is reputed to have used Top Withens as the model for the location of Wuthering Heights, and nearby Ponden Hall (half a mile from the edge of Stanbury) has been considered the model for 'Thrushcross Grange' in the same book. It has also been theorized that Ponden Hall is actually the setting for Top Withens as its size is smaller than that of Thrushcross Grange as described in the book. There are also additional theories that the hall is the model for Wildfell Hall in Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Stanbury is Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire. The River Worth is immediately north of the village and Sladen Beck is just to the south. Ponden Reservoir was built in the 1870s and a reservoir was approved to be built at Lower Laithe on Sladen Beck in 1869, but it was not started until 1911. Due to the nation being involved in the First World War, the reservoir was not completed until 1925. Its completion necessitated the abandonment of the hamlet of Smith Bank.

There is an Anglican church in Stanbury which was built in 1848. In 1998, it was named St Gabriels, after spending the previous 150 years without a name. The school caters for primary school age children. There are also two public houses: The Friendly and the Wuthering Heights which dates from 1763 and was formerly and locally known as 'The Cross'. The Old Silent Inn (formerly The Eagle) is a public house and guest house close to the village which is over 400 years old.

Two paths pass through the village; The Bronte Way and The Pennine way.


Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Stanbury. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.