Place:St. Patrick's, County Limerick, Republic of Ireland


NameSt. Patrick's
Alt namesSt. Patrick'ssource: WeRelate abbreviation
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates52.7°N 8.6°W
Located inCounty Limerick, Republic of Ireland
source: Family History Library Catalog
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St. Patrick's Parish, Clare and Limerick. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

St. Patrick's, or Kilquane, is a civil parish that lies part in County Clare and part in County Limerick. It contains the villages of Ardnacrusha and Parteen, and part of the city of Limerick.



The parish lies on both sides of the River Shannon, which defines the boundary between the counties of Clare and Limerick.

As of 1845 the portion of the parish in County Limerick was partly in the borough of Limerick, where it included the Chapelry of Singland, and partly in the barony of Clanwilliam.

The parish is 4 by 2.5 miles and covers 722 acres of the borough, 793 acres of Clanwilliam and 3894 acres of Bunratty.Template:Sfn


There are, or were, three castles. King John’s Castle was built by John, King of England (ruled 1199–1216) at Parteen on the bank of the Shannon. Castlebank, a stronghold of the Earls of Thomond that was completely ruined by 1897, was not mentioned in the list of Thomond castles of 1580. It had probably not yet been built. Dromin Castle is also not in the 1580 list. The bridge at Parteen has a Latin inscription saying it was made by Peter Creagh, son of Andrew, at the expense of the city of Limerick in 1635.Template:Sfn

In 1841 the total population was 4,132 in 656 houses.Template:Sfn

Catholic parish

The name Kilquane (Cill Chuáin) means "church of Chuáin", the patron saint of the parish. The ruins of the church of Kilquane, with a graveyard beside it, stand in the townland of Kilquane near the Shannon.Template:Sfn The site is about Template:Convert from the river on a low, sandy ridge that runs parallel to the river. It is flooded annually. It contains large tombs of members of the Holmes and Fitzgerald families.Template:Sfn

In 1849 Kilquane was part of the Catholic district of Parteen, which also includes the parish of Killely or Meelick. It contained the chapels of Ardnacrusha, a handsome building of hewn stone, and of Parteen.Template:Sfn Kilquane is now in the parish of St. Patrick’s in Parteen, a parish in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Limerick.Template:Sfn


Research Tips