Place:Somers, Tolland, Connecticut, United States

Alt namesBittings Millsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS9006480
Somers Centersource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS9006480
Somers Streetsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS9006480
Coordinates41.985°N 72.447°W
Located inTolland, Connecticut, United States     (1749 - )
Also located inHampshire, Massachusetts, United States     ( - 1749)
Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States     (1641 - 1682)
Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut, United States     (1682 - 1734)
Contained Places
North Cemetery
West Cemetery
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Somers is a town in Tolland County, Connecticut. The population was 10,255 at the 2020 census. The town center is listed by the U.S. Census Bureau as a census-designated place (CDP). In 2007, Money Magazine listed Somers 53rd on its "100 Best Places to Live", based on "economic opportunity, good schools, safe streets, things to do and a real sense of community."

Bordering Massachusetts, Somers is considered part of the city of Springfield, Massachusetts NECTA. Somers is southeast of Springfield and considered more oriented toward it than the city of Hartford, which lies to the southwest.


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Somers was originally part of the Agawam Plantation in the 17th century. Agawam Plantation became Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1641 and in 1682, the Enfield Parish broke off from the Springfield settlement. In 1689, the first settler, Benjamin Jones, came to Somers in what was then East Enfield about a half mile from the current town center, as it was only a summer house and in the winter, he and his family returned to Enfield for several years though out of fear of the Native Americans. In 1711, several more families settled the Somers area to help start a village. The families of Kibbe, Pease, Root, and Megregory were the first to settle the area. The Village was given the name Wallop but was changed to East Enfield shortly after. In the year 1734, East Enfield became a town and was renamed Somers, after John Somers, 1st Baron Somers. In the year 1749, Somers joined the Connecticut Colony.

The Four Town Fair, which is usually held after the third weekend in September, is one of the oldest fairs in the country.

Little Sorrel, the favorite horse of Confederate general Stonewall Jackson, was born at a farm in Somers.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Somers, Connecticut. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.