Place:Skipton Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameSkipton Rural
TypeRural district
Coordinates53.961°N 2.012°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1894 - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
See alsoKeighley Rural District, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandpart merged with Skipton Rural in 1937
Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandabsorbed part of Skipton Rural in 1974
Pendle District, Lancashire, Englandabsorbed part of Skipton Rural in 1974
Craven, North Yorkshire, Englandabsorbed part of Skipton Rural in 1974
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Skipton Rural District was located in the the West Riding of Yorkshire from 1894 to 1974. It was named after the town of Skipton, which constituted an urban district on its southern border.

The district was expanded in 1937 by taking in the parishes of Steeton-with-Eastburn and Sutton-in-Craven from the disbanded Keighley Rural District.

It was abolished in 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, and was split between Metropolitan Borough of Bradford in West Yorkshire, the Pendle district of Lancashire, and the Craven district of North Yorkshire.

Civil Parishes

The following parishes were transferred to Bradford:

The following parishes were transferred to Pendle District in Lancashire:

The following parishes were transferred to Craven District in North Yorkshire:


Research Tips

  • A Vision of Britain through Time on Skipton Rural District. This section provides statistics on population and industry, as well as a listing of the civil parishes and the alterations to the municipal organization.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Skipton Rural District. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.