Place:Sawley (near Clitheroe), West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameSawley (near Clitheroe)
Alt namesSawley (near Clitheroe)source: from redirect
Sawley
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates53.914°N 2.341°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Lancashire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoStaincliffe and Ewcross Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which it was located
Bowland Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Ribble Valley (borough), Lancashire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


NOTE: There was another place in the West Riding of Yorkshire named Sawley and is located near Ripon. It is now in North Yorkshire.


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Sawley is a village and civil parish which, since 1974, has been in the Borough of Ribble Valley in Lancashire, England. It is situated northeast of Clitheroe in Lancashire, on the River Ribble. Sawley now shares a parish council with two other parishes that were previously in the North Riding: Bolton by Bowland (to its north) and Gisburn Forest (further north again).

Sawley Abbey (sometimes Salley Abbey), a ruined abbey founded by Cistercian monks, is in the village. The abbey was founded in 1147 and dissolved in 1536. Historically, Sawley fell under the fee of [[Person:William de Percy (2)|William de Percy, Earl of Northumberland rather than being part of the that of the powerful neighbouring Lordship of Bowland. There is more on Sawley Abbey in GENUKI

Historically, Sawley was an extraparochial division of the Staincliffe and Ewcross Wapentake. Sawley was made a civil parish in 1858 and from 1894 until 1974, was located in Bowland Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Borough of Ribble Valley in Lancashire.

Sawley with Tosside

A Vision of Britain through Time has notes on the extra parochial area of Sawley with Tosside. Like Sawley, Tosside was an an extraparochial division of the Staincliffe and Ewcross Wapentake, but was located some distance north of Sawley on the boundary between the townships of Bolton by Bowland and Gisburn Forest. In the middle of the 19th century these two extraparochial areas were combined and may continue to exist as one unit. Tosside was made a civil parish in 1858 and continued as such until 1938 when it was abolished and divided between the parishes of Bolton by Bowland and Wigglesworth.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sawley, Lancashire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.