Place:Sanford, Midland, Michigan, United States

Watchers


NameSanford
TypeVillage
Coordinates43.667°N 84.367°W
Located inMidland, Michigan, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Sanford is a village in Midland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 859 at the 2010 census.

The founder's day parade is an important annual event in this old logging village along the Tittabawassee River.

In 1864, Charles Sanford, of Madison County, New York, purchased of land where the village is now located, along with of pine land. The site was first known as the "Salt-Spring Reserve", and was the location of the first salt well in the state. Douglass Houghton, the state surveyor and geologist, supervised sinking the shaft of the well. Charles Sanford moved there in May 1864. He platted the village in 1870. Romig identifies Jay F. Hamilton as the first postmaster of Sanfordville on June 23, 1871, while the Portrait and biographical album of Midland county, Mich. lists Phineas Hamilton as the first postmaster. The name was shortened to "Sanford" on July 13, 1871. Also in 1871, the Pere Marquette Railroad built a station in Sanford.

In 1982, Sanford voters approved the repeal of its 1963 village charter and became part of Jerome Township, but a Michigan court overturned the election results on the grounds that it should have been presented as one proposal instead of two.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sanford, Michigan. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.