Place:Riding, Northumberland, England

Alt namesRiding Millsource: village in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.948°N 1.978°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoBywell St. Andrew, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Broomhaugh and Riding, Northumberland, Englandnew civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Riding from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"RIDING, a township in Bywell St. Andrew parish, Northumberland; on Watling Street, the river Tyne, and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, at Riding Mill [railway] station, 5½ miles E S E of Hexham. It has a bridge over the Tyne, and a post-office, of the name of Riding-Mill, Northumberland. Acres: 1,007. Population: 142. Houses: 21. The bridge was erected in 1822. Riding House is a chief residence."

Riding was originally a township in the ancient parish of Bywell St. Andrew. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 it was merged with the neighbouring civil parish of Broomhaugh to become the new civil parish of Broomhaugh and Riding. It contains the village of Riding Mill.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.