Place:Philipsburg, Missisquoi, Québec, Canada

Alt namesMissisquoi Baysource: Family History Library Catalog
Coordinates45.03907°N 73.07412°W
Located inMissisquoi, Québec, Canada     (1846 - )
Also located inBrome-Missisquoi, Montérégie, Québec, Canada    


General Info

  • Philipsburg was a parish in the historical county of Missisquoi.
  • Municipal Incorporation: 12 Jan 1846[1]
  • In 1999, it merged with and adopted the name of the municipality of Saint-Armand which is located in the Regional County Municipality of Brome-Missisquoi, Montérégie, Québec, Canada.[2]

Lovell's Gazetteer (1895)

  • "PHILLIPSBURG EAST, originally MISSISQUOI BAY, an incorporated village of Quebec, Missisquoi co., on the east shore of Missisquoi Bay, 2 miles from St. Armand Station. It is a port of entry, and contains 2 churches, 1 high school, 2 carriage factories, 1 telegraph office, 2 stores and 2 hotels. Pop. 500."[3]

Research Tips




source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


  1. Source:Magnan, Hormisdas. Dictionnaire historique et géographique des paroisses, missions et municipalities de la province de Québec, pg. 628
  2. Source:Canada, Quebec. Répertoire Des Municipalités Du Québec
  3. Philipburg was likely entered as Phillipsburg East to distinguish it from Phillipsburg (West) in Waterloo County Ontario.