Place:Martock, Somerset, England

Alt namesBower Hintonsource: settlement in parish
Hurstsource: hamlet in parish
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.983°N 2.767°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoMartock Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Martock (#18 on map) is a civil parish with a large village of the same name in Somerset, England. It is situated on the edge of the Somerset Levels 7 miles (11.3 km) northwest of Yeovil in the South Somerset District. The parish includes the hamlet of Hurst, approximately one mile south of the village, and the settlement of Bower Hinton, which is located at the western end of the village and bounded by Hurst and the A303 major road. Martock was historically a market town and had a population of 4,766 in the UK census of 2011.

The Parrett Iron Works was a series of industrial buildings next to the River Parrett. The site was originally named Carey's Mill and the adjoining bridge is called Carey's Mill Bridge which was built of ham stone in the 18th century. The Iron Works was founded in 1855, on the site of a former snuff mill. The site included a foundry, with a prominent chimney, ropewalk, workshops and several smaller workshops and cottages. The sluice which powered the waterwheel and the sluice keeper's cottage still exist.


Martock was originally a parish in the Martock Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. The parish of Martock joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the north-central section of Somerset.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Martock.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Martock Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Martock. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.