Place:Lovington, Somerset, England

TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates51.072°N 2.579°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoCatsash Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Wincanton Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Lovington (#17 on map) is a civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, situated southwest of Castle Cary (#8), between the River Brue and River Cary. The parish, which has included the hamlet and former parish of Wheathill, had a population of 141 in the UK census of 2011.

There was a mill on the River Brue in the village at the time of the Domesday Book, when it was held by Serlo de Burci, however it is not certain whether this is the same site as the current Lovington Mill which was built around 1800.

The Anglican parish Church of St Thomas of Canterbury has 13th-century origins and was restored and enlarged in 1861. It has been designated as a Grade II* listed building. The Church of St John Baptist was converted into a private house in the 1970s.


The parish of Lovington was part of Catsash Hundred, while Wheathill, a separate parish until 1933, was part of the Whitley Hundred. Hundreds were early subdivisions of the county. From 1894 until 1933 both were part of the Wincanton Rural District. The expanded Lovington continued in the rural district until 1974.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Lovington joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District.

Image:Wincanton Rural 1900 small.png

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Lovington
  • An article on Lovington from the Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research, School of Advanced Study, University of London..
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lovington, Somerset. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.