Place:Liverton, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameLiverton
Alt namesLivertonsource: from redirect
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates54.517°N 0.9°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoEasington (near Guisborough), North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a chapelry
Langbaurgh East Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake of which it was a part
Loftus, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandurban district in which is was located 1894-1974
Redcar and Cleveland, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1996
source: Family History Library Catalog


Liverton is now a village in the borough of Redcar and Cleveland and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. "The village of Liverton is built on a by-road which runs from Loftus south to the moors. Its area is 2,457 acres of land, (fn. 1) of which 678 acres are arable, 1,011 acres permanent grass, 205 acres woods and plantations (fn. 2) and 4 acres covered by water. The subsoil is inferior oolite and Oxford clay, the soil clay and gravel, the crops raised being chiefly wheat, barley, beans and oats. The iron mines, which belong to Viscount Downe and are leased to the Cargo Fleet Iron Co. Ltd., were opened by 1874 (fn. 3) and large quantities of ironstone are now sent to Middlesbrough for smelting." (Source: Victoria County History cited below.)

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Liverton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LIVERTON, a township-chapelry in Easington parish, [North Riding of] Yorkshire; 6¼ miles E of Guisbrough town and [railway] station. Post town: Redcar. Acres: 2,400. Real property: £1,216. Population: 186. Houses: 38. The manor belongs to Viscount Downe. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the rectory of Easington, in the diocese of York. The church is partly Norman."

Historically, Liverton was a chapelry in the ecclesiastical parish of Easington in the Langbaurgh East Wapentake. From 1894 until 1932, Easington parish was part of Loftus Urban District]]. It was absorbed into the new and short-lived county of Cleveland in 1974, and since 1996 has been part of Redcar and Cleveland unitary authority.

Research Tips

This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called wapentakes, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
  • GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each.
These are based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire North Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
  • Map of the North Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
  • Map of North Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
  • The above two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
  • Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
  • In March 2018 Ancestry announced that its file entitled "Yorkshire, England: Church of England Parish Records, 1538-1873" has been expanded to include another 94 parishes (across the three ridings) and expected it to be expanded further during the year. The entries are taken from previously printed parish registers.
  • The chapter of the Victoria County History dealing with Liverton.