Place:Lisbon, Kendall, Illinois, United States

Watchers


NameLisbon
TypeVillage
Coordinates41.481°N 88.483°W
Located inKendall, Illinois, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Lisbon is a village in Kendall County, Illinois, United States. The population was 285 at the 2010 census.

The community was established in 1836 with a log tavern and a highway connecting Joliet to Chicago Road. This led to the addition of a post office, enterprise, and a schoolhouse. The town became part of Kendall County in 1841.

John Moore is credited with naming Lisbon Township, stating he wanted a different name, leading him to choose a name with Portuguese origins.

According to Joseph R. Adams in the May 28, 1896, edition of the Kendall County News, "Though ten miles from a railroad, the villagers appear not wanting. They appear to be living better and happier than those differently situated."

Lisbon is now home to Lisbon Consolidated School, the John Moore Park, West Lisbon Church, and Lisbon Bethlehem Lutheran Church.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lisbon, Illinois. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.