Place:Kingstone, Somerset, England

Alt namesKingstonsource: Family History Library Catalog
Allowenshaysource: old name for parish
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.919°N 2.888°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoTintinhull Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Chard Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district covering the area since 1974
NOTE: Do not confuse Kingstone with the parish of Kingston St. Mary only 14 miles northwest, or with Kingsdon 19 miles to the northeast.

the text in this article is based on one in Wikipedia

Kingstone (#18 on map) is a civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, situated near Ilminster, and 5 miles (8.0 km) northeast of Chard in the South Somerset District. The village had a population of 83 in the UK census of 2011.

The parish includes the village of Allowenshay which was the name of the parish from 1280.


The village name means "Kings settlement", which it was until King Edmund gave the manor to St Dunstan, as abbot of Glastonbury Abbey in 940. The estate was valued at this time at eight hides. After the Norman Conquest in 1066 it was lost to the Count of Mortain, William the Conqueror's brother Robert. It was later held by the Arundell family (1461-1663) and then by the Pouletts of Hinton St. George until the 20th century.

Image:Chard Rural 1900 small.png

The settlement at Allowenshay, is first mentioned in 1280. After 1300 Allowenshay became the largest settlement and was the name of the local manor. Archaeology from this time reveal a chapel, though a manor house is yet to be found. However, just north of Allowenshay, fields called the Park, Lower, Higher, and Middle Park, surrounded by the remains of a bank and ditch may indicate the remains of a park made by John de Burgh circa 1260.

The Anglican parish Church of St. John the Evangelist and All Saints was recorded by 1291. The porch and chancel date from the 14th century with the remainder of the building dating from the 15th century.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Kingstone.
  • An article on Kingstone from the Victoria History of the Counties of England – History of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Kingstone, Somerset. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.