Place:Jawor, Jawor, Wrocław, Poland

Watchers
NameJawor
Alt namesJauersource: Wikipedia
TypeTown
Coordinates51.017°N 16.183°E
Located inJawor, Wrocław, Poland
Also located inWrocław, Poland    
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Jawor is a town in south-western Poland with 24,347 inhabitants (2006). It is situated in Lower Silesian Voivodeship (from 1975–1998 it was in the former Legnica Voivodeship). It is the seat of Jawor County, and lies approximately west of the regional capital Wrocław.

In the town can be found a Protestant Church of Peace. It was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2001. Jawor Castle lies in Jawor.

The name Jawor is Polish for "sycamore". Prior to 1945, the town had a German majority. It had been part of Germany, Prussia, Austria, Bohemia, and Poland. After World War II the region was placed under Polish administration by the Potsdam Agreement under territorial changes demanded by the Soviet Union. Most of the German population of the town fled or were expelled and were replaced with Poles, some of whom had been expelled from the Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Jawor. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.