Place:Huntingdonshire District, Cambridgeshire, England

Watchers
NameHuntingdonshire District
TypeDistrict municipality
Coordinates52.32°N 0.24°E
Located inCambridgeshire, England     (1974 - )
Also located inHuntingdonshire, England     ( - 1965)
Huntingdon and Peterborough, England     (1965 - 1974)
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

The Huntingdonshire District (abbreviated "Hunts") is now a non-metropolitan district of Cambridgeshire, but it was a historic county of England. Its council is based in Huntingdon. Other towns in the district are St. Ives, Godmanchester, St. Neots and Ramsey. The population was 169,508 at the 2011 UK census.

Events preceding the formation of the Huntingdonshire District

The area corresponding to modern Huntingdonshire was first delimited in Anglo-Saxon times, and the modern boundaries have remained largely unchanged since the 10th century, though it lost its county status in 1974.

In 1889, under the Local Government Act 1888 Huntingdonshire became an administrative county, with the new County Council taking over administrative functions from the Quarter Sessions. The area in the north of the county forming part of the municipal borough of Peterborough became instead part of the Soke of Peterborough, an administrative county within Northamptonshire.

In 1965, under a recommendation of the Local Government Commission for England, Huntingdonshire was merged with the Soke of Peterborough to form the administrative county of Huntingdon and Peterborough. At this time also the town of St. Neots expanded westward over the river into Eaton Ford and Eaton Socon in Bedfordshire.

Formation

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, Huntingdon and Peterborough merged with the neighbouring administrative county of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely (which had also merged in 1965) to form the new non-metropolitan county of Cambridgeshire. A Huntingdon District was created based closely on the former administrative county borders, with the exclusion of the Old Fletton Urban District, which became part of the Peterborough District, as did the part of Norman Cross Rural District in Peterborough New Town.

The district was renamed Huntingdonshire (the Huntingdonshire District of Cambridgeshire) on 1 October 1984, by resolution of the district council.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Huntingdonshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.