Place:Hodsock, Nottinghamshire, England

Watchers
NameHodsock
Alt namesGoldthorpesource: hamlet in parish
Costropsource: hamlet in parish
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates53.344°N 0.961°W
Located inNottinghamshire, England
See alsoBassetlaw Wapentake, Nottinghamshire, Englandwapentake in which the place was located
Blyth, Nottinghamshire, Englandparish in which it was originally located
Blyth and Cuckney Rural, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1894-1925
Worksop Rural, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1935-1974
Bassetlaw District, Nottinghamshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hodsock from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HODSOCK, a lordship in Blyth parish, Notts; on the river Ryton, 4¾ miles NNE of Worksop. It includes the hamlets of Goldthorpe and Costrop; and comprises 4,092 acres. Real property: £6,294. Population: 207. Houses: 34. Hodsock Priory is the seat of Lieut. Col. W. L. Mellish, and commands a very fine view. Hodsock Park is the seat of G. Smith, Esq."

Hodsock became a separate civil parish in 1866. The parish is on the county border with the West Riding of Yorkshire (since 1974 South Yorkshire).

Wikipedia has an article on Hodsock Priory which includes a history of its ownership.

Research Tips