Place:Headford, Killursa, County Galway, Republic of Ireland

Watchers


NameHeadford
Alt namesAth Cinnsource: Wikipedia
TypeTown or village
Coordinates53.467°N 9.1°W
Located inKillursa, County Galway, Republic of Ireland
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Headford is a town in County Galway, located 26 km north of Galway city in the west of Ireland. It is a popular angling centre for the eastern shore of Lough Corrib, and Greenfields, some 6.5 km west of the town, is its boating harbour. The town is situated next to the Black River (noted also for its trout angling) which is the county boundary with Mayo. Located on the N84 national secondary road from Galway to Castlebar and the R333, and R334 regional roads the town is a popular commuter town to Galway City.

The town is the centre of an area richly endowed with archaeological monuments including prehistoric burial cairns, Iron Age stone enclosures, early Norman and later castles, and many monastic sites. These include Ross Errilly Friary, founded in 1351, which has been recognised by many historians both past and present as the best preserved monastic ruin of its period in Ireland.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Headford. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.