Place:Haslebury Plucknett, Somerset, England

NameHaslebury Plucknett
Alt namesHaselbury Plucknettsource: alternate spelling
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.891°N 2.748°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoHoundsborough Barwick and Coker Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Haslebury Plucknett (#12 on map), or Haselbury Plucknett (sources vary) is a civil parish with a village of the same name in Somerset, England. It is situated on the River Parrett 6 miles (9.7 km) southwest of Yeovil. The village had a population of 744 in the UK census of 2011.

It was one of the few manors which retained its Saxon owner, Brismar, after the Norman Conquest. A later Lord of the manor, Richard of Haselbury, rebelled against King John and was hanged at Sherborne, Dorset.

Saint Wulfric arrived in the village in 1125 and was visited by Henry I and other nobility. He died in 1154 and was buried in the east end of the north aisle of the church, which became known as St Wulfric's aisle, but there is no trace in the current church.

Haselbury Bridge (sometimes called Haslebury Old Bridge) is a stone built bridge dating from the 14th century. It is a scheduled monument and Grade II* listed building. The two-arch bridge was built of local hamstone and carries a small road over the River Parrett. Each of the arches has a span of 3 metres (9.8 ft). The bridge is 4.1 metres (13 ft) wide including the parapet on each side. In the 17th century it carried the main route between Salisbury and Exeter and later marked the boundary between the Chard and Yeovil Turnpike trusts. The bridge was bypassed in 1831.

The Anglican parish Church of St Michael and All Angels dates from the 14th century.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png


Haslebury Plucknett was originally a parish in the Houndsborough Barwick and Coker Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Haslebury Plucknett joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Research tips

  • GENUKI page on Haslebury Plucknett.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Houndsborough Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Haselbury Plucknett. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.