Place:Harworth, Nottinghamshire, England

Watchers
NameHarworth
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Located inNottinghamshire, England
See alsoBassetlaw Wapentake, Nottinghamshire, EnglandWapentake in which the place was located
Blyth and Cuckney Rural, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1894-1925
Worksop Rural, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1935-1974
Bassetlaw District, Nottinghamshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Harworth is a small town in the county of Nottinghamshire, East Midlands of England. It is approximately north of Worksop. Together with the neighbouring mining town of Bircotes, it forms the civil parish of Harworth and Bircotes, with a combined population of nearly 8,000 residents. The population of the civil parish was measured at 7,948 in the 2011 Census. The settlements are part of the modern district of Bassetlaw, which combined the district of Worksop and the district of Retford.

The Harworth coal mine opened in 1921 and produced coal for the power stations on the River Trent. A new pit tower was built in 1989 when the pit was at its peak of production but seven years later the colliery was 'mothballed'. In 2015, it was announced that the pit tower would be demolished and the colliery site would be used for new housing.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Harworth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.