Place:Grendon, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameGrendon
TypeHamlet, Civil parish
Coordinates52.714°N 0.714°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoWymersley Hundred, Northamptonshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Grendon is a small village and civil parish in rural Northamptonshire, England on the borders of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire. Many houses are made of the local limestone and various older thatched houses still survive. The name of the village means "green hill" and today the village remains centred on the hill. As with Earls Barton, the village was owned by Judith, the niece of William the Conqueror.

At the time of the 2011 UK census, the parish population was 544. It is the site of the 19th-century 'Battle of Grendon' (a battle between local farmers and their men over water rights that took place in 1876). The village is in two parts which are separated by the brook. The smaller part of the village is often incorrectly shown on maps as "Lower End" – implying that it is a separate hamlet, whilst the higher (southern) part of the village is located at the top of the (steep) hill.

In 1970, excavations produced evidence of an abandoned village or deserted medieval village, known as Coton (which means cottages) situated behind Grendon Hall.

Research Tips

These two maps show the boundaries of the individual civil parishes in the county in 1900 and in 1944. Comparing the two on a local level allows one to understand the alterations (should there be any) which occurred during the interim period which are noted in the text above.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Grendon, Northamptonshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

*