Place:Finghall, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameFinghall
Alt namesFinghallsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates54.3015°N 1.7221°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoLeyburn Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which the parish was a part 1894-1974
Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Finghall is a village and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England. In 2001 Finghall had a population of 126, and this had increased to 166 at the 2011 census. It is located south of the A684, about 7 miles west of Bedale and about 4 miles east of Leyburn. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew.

The origin of the place-name is from the Old English words Fin, inga and halt meaning a nook of land of the family or followers of a man called Fina. The place-name appears as Finegala in the Domesday Book of 1086 and as Finyngale in 1157.

Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Finghall was located in Leyburn Rural District. Historically, it was an ecclesiastical parish in the Hang West Wapentake.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Finghall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.