Place:Easington, Northumberland, England

Alt namesEasington Grangesource: adjacent township
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.606°N 1.792°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoBelford, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Belford Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Outchester, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Spindlestone, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
This article discusses Easington, Northumberland. There is also a place named Easington in County Durham which is a much larger place and is a former colliery.

Easington and Easington Grange were two separate townships and civil parishes until 1955, but the following description from A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description for both townships from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"EASINGTON-GRANGE, a township in Belford parish, Northumberland; 1½ mile NE of Belford. Acres, 547; of which 126 are water. Pop., 71. Houses, 13."

Easington Grange has been redirected here. Both Easington and Easington Grange were townships in the ancient parish of Belford. They became separate civil parishes in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 Easington was part of Belford Rural District. In 1955 it absorbed the parish of Easington Grange along with the parishes of Outchester and Spindlestone. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Easington became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.