Place:Codford St. Peter, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameCodford St. Peter
Alt namesAshton Giffordsource: hamlet in parish
Ashton-Giffordsource: alternate spelling
Codford St. Petersource: Gazetteer of Great Britain (1987) p 173
Codford-St. Petersource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.167°N 2.05°W
Located inWiltshire, England     ( - 1934)
See alsoHeytesbury Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Warminster Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1894 - 1934
Codford, Wiltshire, Englandparish into which it was merged in 1934
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Codford St. Peter from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CODFORD-ST. PETER, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on the river Wiley, near Codford [railway] station, 3½ miles SE of Heytesbury. It includes the township of Ashton-Gifford; and its post town is Codford-St-Mary, under Bath. Acres: 1,611. Real property, with Codford-St. Mary: £4,086. Population: 359. Houses: 63. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value: £380. Patron: Pembroke College, Oxford. The church is a handsome edifice with pointed windows and embattled tower."

In 1934, Codford St. Peter and Codford St. Mary were merged into the new civil parish of Codford.

Research Tips