Place:Chitterne St. Mary, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameChitterne St. Mary
Alt namesChitterne-St. Marysource: Family History Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.194°N 2.014°W
Located inWiltshire, England     ( - 1907)
See alsoHeytesbury Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Warminster Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1894 - 1907
Chitterne, Wiltshire, Englandcivil parish into which it was merged in 1907
source: Family History Library Catalog


A large settlement of 60 households, held by Edward of Salisbury, was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. Chitterne was one of many Wiltshire estates owned in the 12th century by Ela, 3rd Countess of Salisbury.

Until 1907 there were two ancient parishes, Chitterne St. Mary to the west and Chitterne All Saints to the east. Their villages were adjacent and each had a small parish church. In the 19th century they became two civil parishes, and in 1907 they were combined to form the single Chitterne civil parish.

Research Tips