Place:Chilthorne Domer, Somerset, England

NameChilthorne Domer
Alt namesChilthorne-Domersource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.973°N 2.678°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoStone Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Chilthorne Domer (#5 on map) is a civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, situated 4 miles (6.4 km) northwest of Yeovil. The village is situated on the old coach road from Ilchester to Yeovil. The parish had a population of 574 in the UK census of 2011.

The village was known as "Cilterne" in the Domesday Book of 1086, which is a British name for a hill which includes as its first part the element "celto" meaning high. The second part of the name comes from the Domer family who held one of the manors. The other manor was held by the Vagg family and was known as Chiltorne Vagg. This survives in the name of Vagg farm southeast of the village.

The manor house was built in the 17th century and has its own well.

The Anglican parish Church of St. Mary has 13th-century origins and has been designated as a Grade II* listed building. It was granted to Bruton Priory in 1301.


Chilthorne Domer was originally a parish in the Stone Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Chilthorne Domer joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Chilthorne Domer.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Stone Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Chilthorne Domer. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.