Place:Chester Rural, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameChester Rural
TypeRural district
Coordinates53.191°N 2.895°W
Located inCheshire, England     (1894 - 1974)
See alsoChester, Cheshire, Englandadjacent city and county borough to Chester Rural District
Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district to the south
Chester City (borough), Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality into which it was absorbed in 1974
Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority of which it became a part in 2009
the text in this article is based on one in Wikipedia

Chester Rural District was located in Cheshire, England from 1894 to 1974. It was based around the city and county borough of Chester but did not include this urban area. It did include the small civil parish of Chester Castle, an exclave of the rural district within the boundaries of the county borough of Chester. The district was created by the Local Government Act 1894 as the successor to Chester Rural Sanitary District.

The district saw various boundary changes throughout its life. In 1936 the boundaries of the rural district were substantially altered under a county review order. In 1954 Hoole Urban District was abolished and the bulk of its area was added to the county borough of Chester, but 174 acres (0.70 km2) were added to the rural district. There were exchanges of very small areas of land with neighbouring districts in 1963 due to the diversion of the River Gowy. The final change in the district's boundaries came in 1967, when 135 acres (0.55 km2) passed to the Borough of Ellesmere Port.

The Local Government Act 1972 completely reorganised council boundaries throughout England and Wales. On 1 April 1974, Chester Rural District was merged with the city of Chester and Tarvin Rural District to form the new non-metropolitan district of Chester.

Civil Parishes

  1. Aldford
  2. Bache
  3. Backford
  4. Barrow
  5. Blacon-cum-Crabwall
  6. Bridge Trafford
  7. Buerton
  8. Capenhurst
  9. Caughall
  10. Chester Castle (not shown--in the centre of the city of Chester)
  11. Chorlton-by-Backford
  12. Christleton
  13. Churton-by-Aldford
  14. Claverton
  15. Croughton
  16. Dodleston
  17. Dunham-on-the-Hill
  18. Eaton (near Chester)
  19. Eccleston
  20. Elton
  21. Great Boughton
  22. Great Saughall
  23. Great Stanney
  24. Guilden-Sutton
  25. Hapsford
  26. Hoole
  27. Huntington
  28. Ince
  29. Lea-by-Backford
  30. Lea-Newbold
  31. Ledsham
  32. Little Saughall
  33. Little Stanney
  34. Littleton
  35. Lower Kinnerton
  36. Marlston-cum-Lache
  37. Mickle Trafford
  38. Mollington
  39. Little Mollington (also known as Mollington Banastre)
  40. Great Mollington (also known as Mollington Tarrant)
  41. Moston (near Chester)
  42. Newton-by-Chester
  43. Picton
  44. Poulton
  45. Puddington
  46. Pulford
  47. Rowton
  48. Saighton
  49. Saughall
  50. Shotwick
  51. Shotwick Park
  52. Stanlow
  53. (near Chester)
  54. Thornton-le-Moors
  55. Upton-by-Chester
  56. Wervin
  57. Wimbolds Trafford
  58. Woodbank
ParishDescriptionDurationDestination
Aldford parish (ancient), civil parish 1936 - 1974
Bache township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Backford township, parish (ancient), civil parish 1894 - 1974
Barrow parish (ancient), civil parish 1936 - 1974
Blacon cum Crabwall township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Bridge Trafford township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Buerton township, civil parish 1936 - 1974
Capenhurst township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Caughall township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Chester Castle extraparochial area, civil parish 1889 - 1974
Chorlton by Backford township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Christleton parish (ancient), civil parish 1894 - 1974
Churton Heath township, civil parish 1936 - 1974
Claverton extraparochial area, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Croughton township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Dodleston township, parish (ancient), civil parish 1894 - 1974
Dunham on the Hill township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Eaton township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Eccleston parish (ancient), civil parish 1894 - 1974
Elton township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Great Boughton township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Great Saughall township, civil parish 1866 - 1948
Great Stanney extraparochial area, civil parish 1894 - 1910
Guilden Sutton parish (ancient), civil parish 1936 - 1974
Hapsford township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Hoole Village civil parish 1894 - 1974
Huntington township, civil parish 1936 - 1974
Ince parish (ancient), civil parish 1894 - 1933
Lea by Backford township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Lea Newbold township, civil parish 1936 - 1974
Ledsham township, civil parish 1933 - 1974
Little Saughall township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Little Stanney township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Littleton township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Lower Kinnerton township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Marlston cum Lache township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Mickle Trafford township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Mollington civil parish 1901 - 1974
Mollington Banastre township, civil parish 1866 - 1901
Mollington Tarrant township, civil parish 1866 - 1901
Moston township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Newton by Chester township, civil parish 1866 - 1936
Picton township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Poulton township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Puddington township, civil parish 1933 - 1974
Pulford parish (ancient), civil parish 1894 - 1974
Rowton township, civil parish 1936 - 1974
Saighton township, civil parish 1936 - 1974
Saughall civil parish 1948 - 1974
Shotwick parish (ancient), civil parish 1894 - 1974
Shotwick Park extraparochial area, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Stanlow extraparochial area, civil parish 1894 - 1910
Stoke parish (ancient), civil parish 1894 - 1974
Thornton le Moors parish (ancient), civil parish 1894 - 1974
Upton by Chester chapelry, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Wervin township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Wimbolds Trafford township, civil parish 1894 - 1974
Woodbank township, civil parish 1894 - 1974

Research Tips