Place:Charlynch, Somerset, England

Watchers
NameCharlynch
Alt namesCurrypoolsource: Family History Library Catalog
Charlinchsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish
Coordinates51.132°N 3.109°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoCannington Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Bridgwater Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Spaxton, Somerset, Englandparish in which Charlynch located since 1933
Sedgemoor, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


Charlynch is a village in the civil parish of Spaxton in the Sedgemoor District of Somerset, England.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Charlynch from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CHARLINCH, or Charlidge, a parish in Bridgewater [registration] district, Somerset; on an affluent of the river Parret, near the Quantock hills, 4 miles W by N of Bridgewater {railway] station. Post-town: Bridgewater. Acres: 1,432. Assessed property: £1,916. Population: 241. Houses: 44. The property is divided among a few. The Agapemone or Love's Abode here is an establishment of Communists, founded by Henry James Prince, originally a curate, and called after him Princites. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value: £440. Patron: Lord Taunton. The church is old but good. There are a national school and charities £9."

Charlynch or Charlinch was a separate civil parish from 1866 until 1933 when it was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Spaxton. It was part of the Bridgwater Rural District and since 1974 has been covered by the non-metropolitan district of Sedgemoor.

Research Tips

  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address: archives@somerset.gov.uk.
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Spaxton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.