Place:Charlton Musgrove, Somerset, England

NameCharlton Musgrove
Alt namesCharlton-Musgrovesource: Family History Library Catalog
Barrowsource: hamlet in parish
Holbrooksource: hamlet in parish
Southgrovesource: hamlet in parish
Shalfordsource: hamlet in parish
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates51.082°N 2.394°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoNorton Ferris Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was part located
Wincanton Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district in which Charlton Musgrove situated 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englandnon-metropolitan district in existence since 1974 which includes Charlton Musgrove
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Charlton Musgrove (#10 on map) is a civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, situated 1 mile (1.6 km) northeast of Wincanton. The parish includes the hamlets of Barrow, Holbrook, Southmarsh, and part of Shalford and had a population of 398 in the UK census of 2011.

In 1066 the holder of the manor was Godman but passed to Robert FitzGerold by the time of the Domesday Book in 1086.

The parish is unusual in having two churches and two centres. The older Church of St Stephen dates from the 13th century. It has been designated as a Grade II* listed building. The second centre is said to have originated when people fled to avoid the plague, but had no church until 1877 when a chapel of ease at Barrow Lane was built and dedicated to St John the Baptist.

Stavordale Priory, now a private home, is thought to be linked to the village's Old Church by a tunnel entered near the altar, perhaps used as a priest's escape route, some two miles in length. The building has 13th-century origins, having been founded by a member of the Lovel family, and converted around the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1539), after the Priory merged with that of Taunton in 1533. The Priory of the Augustinian Order was first mentioned in 1243. The bell tower is known to have existed by 1374, and the church was refitted and rebuilt around 1439.

In 1861 the Dorset Central Railway opened a standard gauge track through the western side of the parish, joining Templecombe with Cole. It was linked to Glastonbury in the following year by the Somerset and Dorset Railway and was double lined in 1887. The line was closed in 1966.

Image:Wincanton Rural 1900 small.png


Charlton Musgrove was originally a parish in the Norton Ferris Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Wincanton Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Charlton Musgrove joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Charlton Musgrove.
  • An article on Charlton Musgrove from the Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Charlton Musgrove. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.