Place:Charlton All Saints, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameCharlton All Saints
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates51.016°N 1.75°W
Located inWiltshire, England
See alsoMalmesbury Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Salisbury Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district 1894-1897
Standlynch with Charlton All Saints, Wiltshire, Englandcivil parish of which it was a part 1897-1934
Downton, Wiltshire, Englandcivil parish of which it has been a part since 1934
source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: Charlton All Saints is one of four places in Wiltshire identified as Charlton by Wikipedia. Every effort has been made to differentiate them here in WeRelate.
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Charlton All Saints is now a settlement in the civil parish of Downton, in Wiltshire, England. It is located immediately to the west of the River Avon, about 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Salisbury.

The village has a population of around 450. There are several traditional thatched cottages, of which a few are from the 17th century, and the majority mid-18th century. Charlton House, at the junction of Warrens Lane and Lower Road, has a granary and a barn from the late 18th century.]

The settlement has existed since Saxon times. By 1208, Charlton was a tithing of the parish of Downton. In the 14th century it was a prosperous farming community, highly assessed for taxation. In 1851, the Charlton and Witherington tithings were united to form an ecclesiastical parish, which then had considerable secular duties. In 1897, after the creation of civil parishes, this ecclesiastical parish was united with Standlynch to form the civil parish of Standlynch with Charlton All Saints. This civil parish was merged into Downton parish in 1934.

The Anglican church, All Saints', was built in 1851 partly at the expense of Lord Nelson (1823-1913), owner of the Trafalgar estate on the other side of the river.

Research Tips