Place:Burton Joyce, Nottinghamshire, England

Watchers
NameBurton Joyce
Alt namesBurton-Joycesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Located inNottinghamshire, England
See alsoThurgarton Wapentake, Nottinghamshire, EnglandWapentake in which the place was located
Basford Rural, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1894-1974
Gedling District, Nottinghamshire, Englanddistrict covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Burton Joyce is a large English village and civil parish in the Gedling district of Nottinghamshire, about 7 miles (11 km) east of Nottingham, bounded by the smaller Stoke Bardolph to the south and Bulcote to the north-east. The A612 links it to Carlton, Gedling village and Netherfield to the south-west, and Lowdham to the north-east. Initially the site of an Iron age fort, it was occupied by Norman nobility, who founded St Helen's Church. From being a small farming community, Burton Joyce grew in the early Industrial Revolution, earning a reputation up to the 1920s for quality textile products. Many of the 3,443 population commute to Nottingham. It forms with Stoke Bardoph and Bulcote the Trent Valley ward of Gedling, which elects two councillors.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Burton Joyce. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.