Place:Broughton, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameBroughton
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.367°N 0.767°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoKettering Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Kettering District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Broughton is a large village and civil parish in the borough of Kettering, in Northamptonshire, England, with a population at the 2011 census of 2,208 people. The village is located around 2 miles (3 km) south-west of Kettering, next to the A43 road (it was bypassed in 1984).

Broughton has a long history, being referred to as "Burtone" in the Domesday Book. The church (St. Andrew), which is mostly early 14th century (although the chancel was actually rebuilt in 1828), incorporates part of a (12th century) Norman aisleless church at the south-west angle, including the reset south doorway with colonettes, scallop capitals and zigzags. The village has some notable Jacobean houses.

Broughton currently has one pub, The Red Lion; it used to also have The Sun but that closed. A protest to keep the pub running was fought for by driving a tank to Kettering Borough Council offices but no appeal has been won. The village also has three shops. It used to have a separate post office; that is now part of one of the shops. Many years ago, it had a cinema, five bakers, 7 pubs, 6 shops, a petrol station, and a butcher.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Broughton, Northamptonshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.