Place:Brockport, Monroe, New York, United States

Watchers


NameBrockport
TypeTown
Coordinates43.214°N 77.939°W
Located inMonroe, New York, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Brockport is a village in the Town of Sweden, with two tiny portions in the Town of Clarkson, in Monroe County, New York, USA. The population was 8,336 at the 2010 census. The name is derived from Heil Brockway, an early settler.

The Village of Brockport is in Monroe County's western part, west of the City of Rochester. The village is north of the junction of New York State Route 19 (north-south) and New York State Route 31 (east-west) at the Sweden's northern town line.

Brockport calls itself "The Victorian Village on the Erie Canal". Brockport recently remodeled the village portion of the Erie canal, providing a bricked walkway, a brand new canal visitor's center, and several pieces of art.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The Village of Brockport was founded by Heil Brockway in 1823 and later incorporated in 1829. This village was founded around 1820 and grew to importance as a port on the Erie Canal, and the village was briefly the canal's terminus until the canal's western end was complete. Prior to becoming a village, the area that makes up modern Brockport was primarily occupied by the Muoio Indian tribe, a part of the Seneca (a member of the Iroquois Confederacy). The Muoio people were sustained in the region mostly by hunting indigenous wildlife such as deer and the occasional black bear. Shortly after white settlers arrived, most of the Muoio died of disease and the few survivors traveled to Canada.

During the American Civil War the men of Brockport, New York formed the majority of Company A (100 men) of the 140th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment formed in Rochester, NY in September 1862, when the village's total population was little more than 2100 people. They also helped form Company H of the 140th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment. The 140th New York regiment served in the XII Corps and V Corps of the Army of the Potomac and saw battle at the Battle of Gettysburg, The Battle of the Wilderness, The Battle of Spotsylvania Court House and the Appomatox Courthouse Campaign. The 140th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment was mustered out on June 3, 1865 near Alexandria, VA.

The State University of New York at Brockport, officially called "College at Brockport, State University of New York", is located in Brockport, as well as the Brockport Central School District. It also boasts the Morgan Manning House, an old Victorian home on Main Street (NY 19).

There has long been a legend that due to a conflict between two of Brockport's founders, there are no intersections on Main St. that meet up squarely. This is not true, since State Street and Erie street line up because they used to be a trolley path that ran all the way to Rochester. Adams Street and Fair street meet up as well, and so do the streets of Brockway Place and South Avenue.

Due to financial difficulties the village was under threat of dissolution, and could have become a part of the town of Sweden pending a referendum by the village's residents, but the referendum failed on June 15, 2010. However, there was another dissolution vote on May 24, 2016, that was also failed, filed by resident Rhett King on January 25, 2016. Village clerk Leslie Ann Morelli certified the petition and found 339 signatures that are registered voters. There was to be a study, however, it was rejected.

Sites of interest

The Erie Canal runs through the village of Brockport, as well as several other area villages and towns.

Main Street (Route 19) has many historical buildings, and is a tourist attraction. The Erie Canal Boardwalk that runs from Main Street along the canal is a common spot for locals to enjoy a stroll.

The Morgan-Manning House houses the Western Monroe Historical Society and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. Brockport has the following places listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Brockport Central Rural High School (currently A.D. Oliver Middle School), First Baptist Church, First Presbyterian Church, Edward Harrison House, Lake View Cemetery, Main Street Historic District, Park Avenue and State Street Historic District, Soldiers' Memorial Tower, St. Luke's Episcopal Church, and Whiteside, Barnett and Co. Agricultural Works.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Brockport, New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.