Place:Beckingham, Nottinghamshire, England

Watchers
NameBeckingham
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Located inNottinghamshire, England
See alsoBassetlaw Wapentake, Nottinghamshire, EnglandWapentake in which the place was located
Misterton Rural, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1894-1935
East Retford Rural, Nottinghamshire, Englandrural district 1935-1974
Bassetlaw District, Nottinghamshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Beckingham is a village and civil parish in the Bassetlaw district of Nottinghamshire, England, about 3 miles west of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 1,168, reducing to 1,098 at the 2011 Census.

The parish church of All Saints is mostly of the 13th century, though the exterior is apparently 15th century. The west tower has buttresses, battlements, gargoyles and pinnacles. There is a north chancel chapel and sedilia.

A tower windmill was built some time prior to 1840 to the north of the village. The tower was straight-sided. In 1841 the mill had 2 pairs of millstones driven by 4 common sails, described as "self-regulating cloth and rollers to the sails". By 1850 the mill had been fitted with a pair of patent sails, retaining one pair of rollers; these drove 3 pairs of millstones.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Beckingham, Nottinghamshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.