Place:Ashton by Roade, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameAshton by Roade
Alt namesAshtonsource: common parlance
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.143°N 0.88°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoPotterspury Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Northampton Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
South Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974

NOTE: There were three places named Ashton originally in Northamptonshire. Ashton by Bainton, in the northeast of the county, is now in Cambridgeshire (due to the link between the unitary authority of Peterborough with Cambridgeshire). The other two are: Ashton near Oundle now in the East Northamptonshire District, and this one, in the southern part of the county: Ashton by Roade, in the South Northamptonshire District.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Ashton by Roade is a village in South Northamptonshire District of Northamptonshire, England. It is located about 1 mile (1.6 km) southeast of Roade village close to the Northampton to Milton Keynes A508 road. The West Coast Main (railway) Line intersects the village on its eastern side.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ashton by Roade from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ASHTON, a parish in Potterspury [registration] district, Northampton; on the Northwestern railway and the Grand Junction canal, near Salcey forest and the Blisworth tunnel, 1½ mile SSE of Roade [railway] station, and 7 S of Northampton. Post Town: Roade under Northampton. Acres: 1,290. Real property: £1,787. Population: 374. Houses: 84. The property is divided among a few. The inhabitants have a right of common in Salcey forest. The living is a rectory in the [diocese] of Peterborough. Value: £275. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are Baptist and Methodist chapels, and charities £20."

Research Tips

These two maps show the boundaries of the individual civil parishes in the county in 1900 and in 1944. Comparing the two on a local level allows one to understand the alterations (should there be any) which occurred during the interim period which are noted in the text above.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ashton, South Northamptonshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.