Person:Marshall Coon (3)

m. 19 Jul 1834
  1. Marshall R. Coon1838 - 1918
  2. Luanna E. Coon1844 - 1894
m. 27 Oct 1859
Facts and Events
Name Marshall R. Coon
Gender Male
Birth[1] 22 May 1838 Alfred, Allegany, New York, United States
Marriage 27 Oct 1859 to Matilda Huffman
Death[1] 14 Oct 1918 Welton, Clinton, Iowa, United States
  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 The Sabbath Recorder . (New York City, New York; later Plainfield, N. J.)
    85:18:574, November 4, 1918.

    Marshall R. Coon was born in Alfred, Allegany Co., N. Y. , May 22, 1838, and died at the home of his daughter at Welton, Ia., October 14, 1918, at the age of 80 years, 4 months, and 23 days.
    He was the oldest of three children born to George N. and Eusebia Burdick Coon. At the age of two and one-half years he moved from New York State with his parents and located on a claim near Lake Koshkonong, in Milton Township, near Milton. At the age of thirteen he was baptized by Elder Stillman Coon and joined the Milton Church. When the Rock River Church was organized he joined that church as one of the constituent members. Here he held his membership for a number of years. Soon after the Milton Junction Church was organized he joined that church by letter and remained a member until the time of his death. In early youth he learned the blacksmith trade with his father and for five years followed that occupation. Abandoning the blacksmith trade he turned his attention to farming and followed this until 1884, when he moved to Milton Junction, Wis., where he worked at carpenter work until he was 70 years of age.
    On October 27, 1859, he was married to Matilda J. Huffman, a native of Clark County, Ohio, and had he lived until the 27th day of this month, they would have been married fifty-nine years.
    To this union two children were born, the oldest dying in infancy and the younger, M. Eusebia, the wife of Wade Loofboro, of Welton, Ia., at whose home Mr. Coon lived the past year. He is survived by his wife, one daughter, two grandchildren, Wesley and Howard Loofboro, and one brother, Dr. George E. Coon, of Milton Junction.
    The remains were brought from Welton, Ia., and laid to rest in the Milton Junction Cemetery. Services were conducted at the grave by Pastor Van Horn of the Milton Junction Church, assisted by Rev. George W. Burdick, an intimate friend of the deceased. The large company of people who gathered at the cemetery around the grave gave witness to the fact that Mr. Coon was not only widely known but was held in love and esteem by an unusually large circle of friends. Glowing tributes were paid to his memory both by Pastor Van Horn and Elder Burdick, who was once his pastor for seven years. E. D. V. H.

  2.   Portrait and Biographical Album of Rock County, Wisconsin: containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of the state and of the presidents of the United States. (Chicago [Illinois]: Chicago [Illinois] : Acme Pub., 1889, 1889)

    MARSHALL R. COON, who for a continuous period of almost half a century has been identified with the best interests of Rock County, is now engaged in farming on section 9, in the town of Milton. He was born in Alfred Centre, Allegheny County, N.Y., May 22, 1838, and is the son of George N. and Eusebia (Burdick) Coon. His parents were also natives of the Empire State, and their family consisted of but two children - Marshall R. of this sketch and Luanna, wife of Anson L. Rose, a farmer of Milton Township. In early life, the father learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed for a livelihood in his native State, and also engaged in the occupation after becoming a resident of Wisconsin. Accompanied by his family, he emigrated to Rock County in 1840, and took up a claim near Lake Koshkonong in Milton Township. He entered 160 acres of government land and erected a large log cabin, 18x36 feet, which was the first home of the family style, and many were the happy days there spent, when the country was new and unsettled. In some directions the eye could look out upon what seemed to be unbounded prairie, while in others, it rested upon regions of heavy timber, the haunt of many kinds of wild game, and where wolves were also frequently seen. Mr. Coon afterward erected this first frame building on the river road between Stoughton and Milwaukee, and on the banks of the little lake established a small store, where he traded with the Indians and the few white settlers of the community. His stock was hauled from Milwaukee, and in exchange for his goods, he received all kinds of produce, furs and numerous other articles. Money was scarce and wheat which was hauled to Milwaukee by ox teams only brought twenty-five cents per bushel, while corn sold at ten cents. In connection with his other business interests Mr. Coon also engaged in blacksmithing. He resided upon the claim which he first entered until 1853, when he bought the farm adjoining his original purchase on the west, and in the course of time extended its boundaries until it comprises 300 acres. Probably no man has done more toward the development of the wild land than George N. Coon. He placed the entire tract which he owned under a high state of cultivation, made many beautiful and useful improvements and otherwise increased its value until he became one of the well-to-do citizens of the county. Wishing to retire from active life, in 1881, he left the farm where he had made his home for so many years and removed to Milton Junction, where he continued to reside until his death, which occurred in 1886, at the ripe old age of seventy-two years. He died from the bursting of a blood vessel in his side. Although an old man, he retained his mental and physical faculties to an unusual degree up to the last. His wife departed this life in 1868, at the age of fifty-two years. They were members of the Seventh Day Baptist Church and were instrumental in the organization of the society to which they belonged. In his early life Mr. Coon had been a singing teacher and for twenty-five years acted as chorister for the church. He identified himself with all public enterprises, contributed liberally to the upbuilding of the community, and felt a deep interest in all public affairs. The first school in district No. 2, was taught in his house by Miss Esther Coon, who afterward became the wife of Dr. Allen. Since the age of two years, our subject has passed his entire life in this county. He received his education in the primitive log house with its puncheon floor, seats made of rude slabs, and an immense fireplace crowned by a mud and stick chimney, and the rod above the teacher's desk - a terror to all evil-doers. In his early youth he began learning the blacksmith's trade with his father, and for five years followed that occupation. Those were days of almost ceaseless toil, no idlers were wanted in the community, but men of worth were always welcome. Abandoning the blacksmith's trade, Mr. Coon at once turned his attention to farming and now has one of the best homes in the township. On the 27th day of October, 1859, he was joined in wedlock with Miss Matilda J. Huffman, a native of Clarke County, Ohio, born Dec. 21, 1843. Her parents, Michael and Mary (Livingston) Huffman, were both born in Virginia, but in early life removed to Ohio, where they were married in 1831. They are now residents of Milton Junction, and are numbered among its esteemed and respected citizens. For the past few years Mr. Huffman has suffered a terrible affliction in the loss of his eyesight, being totally blind. By the union of the young couple one child has been born, Eusebia M., born Sept. 22, 1872. They have spared neither pains nor money in the education of their daughter, who is an accomplished young lady. She has been thoroughly instructed both in literary studies and music, and is now preparing herself for a teacher.
    The family to which Mrs. Coon belongs numbered ten children, six of whom are yet living - George. W., who is now engaged in farming in the town of Lima; Amanda, wife of Deacon Allen; John, a minister of the Seventh Day Baptist Church, now residing in West Virginia; Elizabeth, wife of Cyrus C. Frink, of Milton Junction; Matilda, honored wife of our subject; and Charity who wedded S. W. Baker, a resident of Milton Junction.
    Mr. and Mrs. Coon are representatives of two of the pioneer families of this county. They have shared in the trials and hardships incident to life on the frontier, and to them is due no little credit for their assistance in the work of development and progress which has made Rock, the banner county of this great commonwealth. In religious associations, they are members of the Seventh Day Baptist Church, at Milton Junction, and have devoted their lives to the work of the Master, while the moral and religious institutions of the community have found in them warm and true friends. At the early age of thirteen years, Mr. Coon united with the church and has been identified with its interest for more than a third of a century. For thirty years he has been one of the office holders, and from the time, when as a lad, his voice was heard mingling with the more mature tones of the older members of the choir, he has thus assisted in the services. His wife has also been a devoted member for thirty-two years and is beloved by all for her many excellencies of character. They have one of the most pleasant homes in the county, surrounded by all that makes life worth the living and their friends are sure of a kindly welcome and loving reception.