Person:Frederick Woodward (3)

Watchers
Frederick F. Woodward
b.Abt 1835
 
Facts and Events
Name Frederick F. Woodward
Gender Male
Birth? Abt 1835
Residence[1] 1869 Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
Occupation[1] Bet 1875 and 1883 Worcester, Massachusetts, United StatesSafety Fund National Bank Cashier
Occupation[1] Bet 1883 and 1889 Worcester, Massachusetts, United StatesWashburn and Woodward Mill
References
  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 Hurd, D. Hamilton (Duane Hamilton). History of Worcester County, Massachusetts: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men. (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: J.W. Lewis, 1889).

    April 12, 1869, Mr. Crocker made a report on the
    soldiers' monument, which was accepted and placed
    on file. It was then voted that a sum not exceeding
    forty thousand dollars be appropriated for a monu-
    ment, ten thousand dollars of which was to be raised
    by taxation the current year. At an adjourned
    meeting. May 3, 1869, this vote was rescinded in order
    to investigate the feasibility of erecting a memorial
    hall instead of a monument. A committee of nine,
    consisting of Frederick F. Woodward, Alvin A.
    Simonds, David H. Merriam, Gardner S. Burbank,
    Jabez Fisher, George Robbins, Edwin P. Monroe,
    Hale W. Page and Edwin Upton, was appointed
    "to prepare and present plans and specifications,
    together with the estimated cost of a Memorial hall
    and report at a future meeting." The original com-
    mittee was not, by this action of the town, discharged
    or relieved of its trust, but, the appropriation having
    been withdrawn, it was decided best for the Monu-
    ment Committee not to proceed further until the
    Memorial Hall Committee had rendered a report.
    The investigations of this committee did not appear
    to be favorable to the Memorial Hall project. A
    verbal report was made on the matter, April 11, 1870,
    by David H. Merriam, which report was accepted
    and the committee discharged.
    ========================================
    The mill erected about 1836 by Captain Levi Pratt
    on River Street was, for a time, used by him for the
    manufacture of powder kegs, but for many years the
    site has been occupied as a flour and grain-mill.
    Several parties have carried on this industry there in
    years past, among them Franklin Mclntire and Ira
    Carleton and the Fitchburg Flour Company. In
    1881 Charles P. Washburn purchased the property;
    and in 1883 Frederick F. Woodward bought one-half
    interest, since which time the mill has been success-
    fully operated by the firm of Washburn & Wood-
    ward.

    In 1884 a store-house, one hundred by thirty feet,
    was built to accommodate their increasing business.
    The firm possesses every facility for carrying on their
    large wholesale and retail trade in flour, grain, meal,
    etc. A branch track connects their mill with the
    main line of the Fitchburg Railroad close by.
    ===============
    The Safety Fund National Bank. — This bank was
    organized April 17,1874. Its capital is $200,000 and
    surplus $34,500. Business was begun July 1, 1874,
    in the second story of Bekling & Dickinsons
    Block, and in March, 1875, was removed to its pres-
    ent location in Crocker Block. This substantial and
    handsome block was erected by Hon. Alvah Crocker,
    under an agreement for a twenty years' lease of the
    banking rooms to the Safety Fund National Bank.

    The first president was Henry Allison, and the first
    cashier Frederick F. Woodward. In 1883 Mr. Wood-
    ward went into the grain business, and resigned his
    position as cashier.