Person:Charles Sands (3)

Watchers
Charles Lundy Sands
d.1916
m. 24 DEC 1835
  1. Susannah Sands1836 - 1837
  2. Elijah Lundy Sands1838 - 1840
  3. John Sands1838 - 1880
  4. Henry Harrison Sands1840 - 1915
  5. William Ellis Sands1843 - 1910
  6. Thomas Ellwood Sands1845 - 1910
  7. Anna Margaret Sands1847 - 1894
  8. Charles Lundy Sands1849 - 1916
  9. Joseph Harvey Sands1852 - 1900
  10. James Parvin Sands1854 - 1889
Facts and Events
Name Charles Lundy Sands
Gender Male
Birth? 16 DEC 1849 Greenwood, Columbia, Pennsylvania
Death? 1916
Burial? , Columbia, Pa, Millville Cem.
Other? Notes

!BIR-MAR-DEATH: History of Columbia and Montour Counties; by Battle; (1887); p. 519.

Eleanor Sands Smith letter of 1936; in possession of Robert E. Givens, Fresno,

CA.

Noterized statement of Horace A. Sands; in possession of Robert E. Givens,

Fresno, CA.

Joseph E. Sands Family Bible; copy in possession of Robert E. Givens, Fresn,

CA. CENSUS: 1900 - Mt. Pleasant Twp., Columbia, Pennsylvania - ED 24, Ancestry Image 11 of 15 - In the home were (all born in PA) - Charles L Sands 50, Mary P 52, Joseph E 23, Mary E (dau in law) 24, Joseph E (g son) 1, and a granddaughter, Rachel S Eves 6. DEATH: Records of Millville Cemetery, by Betty Jean Wilkins

        GS # 974.838/M1/V3w, p. ?.

BIO: J.H. Battle. History of Columbia and Montour Cos. in Pa. Chicago: A. Warner & Co., 1887 CHARLES L. SANDS, president of Mordansville woolen mill, Mordansville (Mt. Pleasant Twp.), was born near Rohrsburg, this county, Dec. 16, 1849; son of JOSEPH E. and ESTHER LUNDY SANDS. JOHN SANDS, grandfather of our subject, came to this county from BERKS Co, Pa, in the early part of the present century. He was born in Berks Co, and there learned the miller's trade, and when he came to this county, he went to Mifflin Twp, where he was the miller at Brown's Mill, near Mifflinville, for a number of years. From there he removed to near Orangeville, and operated the Bowman mill a number of years, and from there removed to Greenwood Twp and ran the FULMER (Now the ALINAS COLE) mill and while connected with this mill he fell dead from apoplexy while working in the orchard near by. His death occurred in June, 1856. He was married in this county to Miss HANNAH ECK, of Briarcreek Twp, also a member of an early settler's family. She survived her husband about 7 years. They are buried in the McHenry Graveyard, in Orange Twp, this county. They were the parents of 6 children, 4 now living; MARY, in Greenwood Twp, this county; ANN, wife of BALTIS GIRTON, now living in ALEDO, ILL.; UZILLA, widow of JAMES STRONG, who in the service of the Union, was killed at Fort Fisher - she lives at Dushore, Sullivan Co, Pa.; HORACE lives at WYALUSING, Bradford Co, Pa; EMMA and JOSEPH E. are deceased; JOSEPH E. SANDS, father of CHARLES L., the second in order of age of these children, was born in Mifflin Twp, while his father was the miller at Brown's Mills. He made his home with his parents until he reached the age of 18 years, and then went to work to learn his trade in the woolen mill of ANDREW HUNLOCK, Briarcreek Tap, this county. He learned the trade there, and when he had obtained a thorough knowledge of the business he erected a woolen mill of his own one mile north of Rohrsburg, on Green Creek. He worked that mill until 1856, but as the woods around became cleared up the creek began to fail, and finally he found it impossibe to run the mill with the water of that stream. In 1856 he erected a mill on the banks of Little Fishing Creek, in Mount Pleasant Twp, which forms the nucleus of the present Mordansville woolen mills. He operated this mill until about one week before his death, when he sold it to CHARLES L SANDS. He was married in this county to Miss ESTHER LUNDY, a native of this county, and daughter of HENRY LUNDY, and they were the parents of 10 children, 7 now living: HENRY H., in Hemlock Twp, this county; WILLIAM E., in Mount Pleasant Twp, THOMAS E., also in Hemlock Twp; ANNA MARGARET, wife of W.W. EVES, of the firm of ELLIS EVES & Brother, merchants at Millville; CHARLES L; JOSEPH H., in the hardware business in Bowling Green, Oh (he is married to MARY TURNER, a native of Wood Co., OH, and JAMES P. The deceased are ELIJAH and JOHN (twins), and SUSANNAH. The father of this family died Feb. 24, 1881, while at Philadelphia on a business trip. He was a strong Union man during the war and went out with the militia at the time of the invasion of the State by the Confederate forces. His widow died Dec. 3, 1886. They are buried in the McHenry graveyard, Orange Twp. The mother was a member of the Christian Church; the father was a Friend by birthright. Mr. SANDS had held the office of commissioner of Coumbia CO. from 1876 to 1879. He was the first postmaster of Mordansville, which position he held unti his election as commissioner. He was a well known man in Columbia Co, and commanded the respect of even those who differed from him in his views. Of his children, 3 were in the service of the Union during the war. HENRY H. was twice a volunteer, at first in Co. E, 132nd PA Volunteers, and while in the regiment participated among others at the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. The second time he enlisted was in 1864, in Co. D, 210th PA Infantry, and was in the battles of Hatcher's Run, Gravelly Run, Five Points, and the regiment participated in the movements about Petersburg which resulted in the fall of that stronghold and Richmond, and the surrender of Lee: also participated in the grand reunion of the victorious armies of the Union at the national capital at the close of the war. WILLIAM E., was in the 103rd PA Infantry. he served with his regiment from Feb. 1865 until the close of the war. THOMAS E. was in the independant cavalry, and was enaged principally in the civil service department. CHARLES L., subject of this sketch, was reared in this county, and made his home with his parents until he was 18 years of age, and then went to work at the carpenter's trade with ABRAHAM DILDINE, of Orange Twp, with whom he was engaged one year. He then returned to his father's home and lived there until 1871, when he began dealing in horses to some extent, and obtained the contract for building the stone work of the Wilson bridge across Little Fishing Creek, which he constructed. He then rented a farm in Mt. Pleasant Twp, which he carried on until 1875, when he removed to Millville and commenced in the livery business, and established the first stage line from Millville to Bloomsburg. It was thought at that time that this stage line would not pay, but he made the business remunerative, and it is so to this date,. He closed out the business in the spring of 1880, selling out to HUMPHREY PARKER, and then came to Mordansville and helped his father operate the mill until the following spring, when he bought the mill. He then added new machinery and in the spring of 1886 enlarged the mill by the erection of an addition. He carried on the business alone until 1883, when M.J. ELDER obtained an interest in the operation of the mill, and the firm remained SANDS & ELDER until the spring of 1886, when WILLIAM R. HAGENBUCH obtained an interest,and the style of the firm is now C.L. SANDS & Co. The capacity has been increased, since Mr. SANDS bought the mill, from 6000 to 25000 pounds. Mr. SANDS was married in this county May 13, 1871 to Miss MARY ZEIGLER, a native of the county and daughter of DANIEL and CATHERINE ZEIGLER, both deceased and buried in the Canby graveyard, Mt. Pleasant Twp. Mr. and Mrs. SANDS are parents of 3 children: ELIZABETH MAUDE; MAGGIE ALVERDA and JOSEPH E. Besides the woolen mill interests, Mr. SANDS is also engaged in farming,having land aggregating 162 acres in Mt. Pleasant Twp, on which he carries on farming. He is Justice of the Peace of Mt. Pleasant Twp, having been elected in the spring of 1884. He was one of the vice-presidents of the Columbia Co. Agricultural, Horticultural and Mechanical Assoc. from the spring of 1881 to the end of 1886.

_FSFTID: KCF4-RKS