Place:Heworth, Durham, England

Alt namesLow Burnsource: quarry in township
Windy Nooksource: quarry in township
Windynooksource: spelling variation
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates54.947°N 1.556°W
Located inDurham, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoJarrow, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Chester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Gateshead, Durham, Englandmuncipal borough in which it was located 1835-1894
Felling, Durham, Englandurban district of which it was part 1894-1974
Borough of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan district covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is condensed from an article in Wikipedia

Heworth has been a village in the Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England since 1974. Prior to 1974 it was located in County Durham.

In common with most villages in the area, its history has been intertwined with the fortunes of the quarrying and mining industries. Two large quarries operated in the area, at Windy Nook (which is now infilled and used as a public recreation area) and Low Burn, which is now the site of a Garden of Remembrance and a cemetery. Heworth Colliery occupied a site to the south-east of Windy Nook quarry, with its own connection to the Pelaw Main Waggonway giving access to the Pelaw Main coal staithes (or wharves) on the River Tyne at Bill Quay.

A 19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Heworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HEWORTH, a town, a township, a chapelry, and a [registration] sub-district in Jarrow parish, and Gateshead [registration] district, Durham. The town stands adjacent to the river Tyne, and to the Darlington and Brandling railway, near Pelaw Junction station, 2½ miles ESE of Gateshead; and has a post office under Gateshead.
"The township lies partly within Gateshead borough; includes the chapelries of St. Albans and Felling, constituted in 1843 and 1866; and comprises 2,786 acres of land, and 67 of water. Real property: £27,435; of which £9,286 are in mines, £938 in quarries, and £700 in iron works. Population in 1851: 8,869, in 1861: 10,315. Houses: 1,570. The increase of population was caused by the extension of chemical works. Population of the part within Gateshead borough: 838. Houses: 132. Ship building is carried on in several yards; coal is extensively mined and exported; and paper, pottery, glass, and chemicals, are manufactured.
"The chapelry was at one time co-terminate with the township, but was curtailed and made ecclesiastically parochial in 1843. Rated property: £19 902. Population in 1861: 7,680. The property is subdivided. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £234.* Patrons: Lady James and Thomas Drewett Brown, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1822; is in the pointed style, with an embattled tower; and contains 668 sittings. A monumental column is in the churchyard, commemorative of the death of 91 persons, in 1812, by an explosion in Felling colliery. There are a national school and a mechanics' institution.
"The sub-district is co-terminate with the township."

Heworth was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Jarrow. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but from 1835 until 1894 it was within Gateshead Municipal or County Borough. (Gateshead grew sufficiently to become a county borough instead of a municipal borough in 1888.) In 1894 Heworth became part of Felling Urban District. Heworth was increased in size in 1936 when the parish of Monkton was abolished.

In 1974 this part of Durham became part of the district of Borough of Gateshead within the county of Tyne and Wear.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Heworth, Tyne and Wear. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.