Place:St. Luke, London, England

Watchers
NameSt. Luke
Alt namesSt Luke Old Streetsource: Vision of Britain
TypeFormer parish
Coordinates51.5253°N 0.0939°W
Located inLondon, England     (1889 - 1965)
Also located inMiddlesex, England     ( - 1889)
See alsoSt. Giles Cripplegate, London, Englandancient parish of which it was a part until 1733
Finsbury, London, Englandmetropolitan borough of which is was part 1900-1965
Islington (London Borough), Greater London, EnglandLondon borough to which it was transferred in 1965
source: Family History Library Catalog


St. Luke, or St. Luke Old Street, was historically part of the parish of St. Giles Cripplegate, which straddled the City of London and Middlesex. St Luke was made a parish in 1733 and lay entirely in Middlesex. In 1889 the parish of St Luke was transferred from Middlesex to the newly-created County of London and in 1900 became part of Finsbury Metropolitan Borough. Finsbury Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Islington.

For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article St Luke's, Islington. This article covers the parish of St Luke Old Street, Islington. For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article St Luke Old Street. This article explains the course of history for the church of St Luke Old Street.

Research Tips